Saturday, September 12, 2009

I Want To Be A Pumpkin

For a few months now we've been planning our Halloween costumes. Aaron was going to be Handy Manny, I was going to be Kelly (the hardware store owner), and Owen was going to be Pat (the Hammer).

A few weeks ago, Owen decided that he wanted to be Handy Manny too. Okay, I said. How adorable would Aaron be as Handy Manny and Owen a "Mini Manny"?

Yesterday, at the grocery store, I noticed that they were putting out all the Halloween stuff. I thought this would be a good opportunity to start a running dialogue with Owen over the next several weeks to prepare him for Halloween. Particularly the scarier aspects of Halloween. We headed down the aisle and I started pointing out scary, pretty, silly, and nice costumes and decorations. I told him that it is ALL pretend, some people like to wear scary costumes but underneath they are regular people.

Owen looked at me thoughtfully and said, "I don't want to be something scary for Halloween."

Later in the car, on the way home, he announced, "I want to be a pumpkin for Halloween!" "I thought you wanted to be Handy Manny?" I replied. "No! I want to be a Pumpkin!"

I'm wondering how many times, or if, he's going to change his mind between now and Halloween. So far he is holding firm! Now what should Aaron and I be?

No comments:

Post a Comment